The new ultra-rugged Tough! TG-5 camera from Olympus set to beat all others in all conditions
London, 05/17/2017 • Olympus Tough! flagship combines high-end image quality with the convenience of pocket sized portability and toughness – When you are looking for the ultimate tough, go-anywhere camera to capture the highlights of your latest adventure, the best in class just got better. With the TG-5, Olympus announces their latest flagship Tough! camera, and it comes with some serious enhancements. The class leading super bright 25-100mm* 1:2.0 lens is married to an all new sensor and the latest TruePic VIII image processor that deliver significant improvements in speed and still image quality in all conditions, while video now boasts 4K and 120FPS Full HD high-speed movies for better slow motion quality. Added to this are new easy to access controls and dual pane anti-fog glass. As Tough!’s tend to be used when the elements are at their harshest, this matters, so for all those who want to share spectacular evidence of their exploits this summer: Look no further than the new Tough! TG-5 available in red or black from mid June at £399.99.
The adventurer’s choice:
Annelie Pompe** is a professional adventurer from Sweden who has used the TG series for many years:
“I go climbing, freediving, running, skiing, surfing, kayaking and mountain biking so I need a camera that can go anywhere, stand the pace and create great pictures. The TG-5 takes all this in its stride and I love the new control dial and anti-fog dual pane glass – when you are in and out of freezing water these will make a great camera even better to use.”
There are plenty of “action” cameras but none that quite deliver the still image quality and convenience of the TG-5. In the middle of a tackle-anything adventure, your camera needs to be light and small enough not to get in your way, yet be able to take punishment so you don’t worry. Throw a TG-5 in a canoe with water sloshing – no problem. Stand on it in hiking boots – a walk in the park. Drop one from head height onto a boulder – all in a day’s shoot. Regularly awarded best in class since the introduction of the TG-1 in 2012, the flagship Olympus Tough! series has become the go-to rugged camera for die hard adventurists the world over. A classic blend of carry-anywhere size and hard as nails durability that Olympus pioneered, the TG-5 now heralds levels in image quality and video performance to add to a reputation for robust construction.
Better image quality, more tracking and sharing capabilities
Eiji Shirota is head of the Olympus team that developed the TG-5 in Tokyo and explains the camera manufacturer’s priorities as follows:
“Our priority with the TG-5 was to improve overall image quality in a wider range of conditions and to enhance the adventure capturing capabilities of the camera. Customer feedback told us that Tough! cameras are used in situations that are challenging both physically and photographically. The new sensor has a lower pixel count than the previous model, yet when combined with the latest image processor from our pro flagship OM-D E-M1 Mark II, gives better image quality than before with enhanced dynamic range and improved response time.
As a bonus, we have even included a version of the Pro Capture feature also taken from our professional OM-D line that helps catch the exact moment in action sequences. Finally, we added a temperature sensor to the existing GPS, manometer and compass so that users can share even more information with their images to really tell a story of their adventures.”
Five features for outdoor fans
The TG-5 has five main strengths. Its ultra-bright lens, its Variable Macro system, its range of accessories and its field sensor system combined with built-in WiFi for tracking and transferring data to smartphones. That’s four. Number five is the now legendary toughness. The TG-5 is shockproof to a height of 2.1 metres***, crushproof to a weight of 100kg***, freezeproof down to -10°C***, dustproof, and waterproof to a depth of 15m without a special underwater housing***. With the PT-058 underwater casing (sold separately), images and movies can even be captured in depths of up to 45 metres.
The super-bright 25-100mm* lens has a 1:2.0 maximum aperture at wide zoom settings, which means the TG-5 can capture colourful, low-noise shots in light-starved environments where fast shutter speeds and low ISO settings are a must: For example 15m underwater, with no need for a housing or extra light. Divers will not only profit from the built-in manometer but also from Underwater HDR to enhance areas of light and shadow, AF Area to shift the focus within the frame and the glove-friendly customizable mode dial together with a new control wheel.
For spectacular nature shots, the TG-5 has an advanced, four-mode Variable Macro system, with Microscope, Microscope Control, Focus Bracketing and Focus Stacking Mode. The latter works without software, which is unique in this camera category. To maximise realism and colours and minimise noise, the TG-5 also supports RAW files.
Extended warranty and underwater tips & tricks at MyOlympus
The TG-5 is a comprehensive system for adventurous people with imaging ambitions to match. The great-value price includes a six-month warranty extension**** if new owners register their camera at MyOlympus.
Divers can find more information and tips & tricks on capturing pristine images with the Tough! series below sea level in our new Underwater Photography World at www.olympus.eu/underwater
- LG-1 Macro Light Guide for illuminating macro subjects evenly and counteracting camera shadow for truly spectacular shots
- FD-1 Flash Diffuser for redistributing light from the built-in flash to evenly illuminate close-up subjects in poor light
- FCON-T01 Fisheye Converter Lens for quirky, wide-angle shots in severe conditions, including underwater
- TCON-T01 Tele Converter Lens for extreme close-ups underwater, or elsewhere
- PT-058 Underwater Casing for capturing movies and stills worry-free at depths up to 45 metres
- CSCH-121 Neoprene Case for added protection against scratches and high drops – it’s mesh design allows quick draining and drying after underwater use
- CSCH-123 Sport Holder for carrying your camera hands-free and within reach on the front of a harness or backpack. Available in light blue and Orange
- CSCH-126 Silicon Jacket for protection from scratches
- CSCH-107 Hard Case with a carabiner hook for securing your camera to a variety of outdoors equipment
- CHS-09 Floating Handstrap in red for a sporty and highly visible way to hold onto or relocate your Tough!
For a complete list of Tough! TG-5 features and accessories, go to www.olympus-europa.com/tough
Product specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check the Olympus website at http://www.olympus-europa.com/ for the latest specifications.
* 35mm equivalent
** @anneliepompe and www.anneliepompe.com
*** Waterproof according to IEC standard publication 529 IPX8. Shockproof figures compliant with MIL-STD810F (Olympus test conditions). Freezeproof and crushproof according to Olympus test conditions.
**** Six months on top of the statutory warranty in the country of purchase.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Tel.: 01702 616333
Olympus Europa is the headquarters for the region Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) of the Olympus Corporation, Tokyo. As a worldwide leading manufacturer of optical and digital precision technology, Olympus provides innovative solutions for state-of-the-art medical systems, digital cameras as well as scientific solutions. The company’s award winning products are instrumental in detecting, preventing and healing illness, driving scientific research and documenting life with artistic freedom. In the hands of its customers, Olympus’ high-tech products help to make people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling.
For more information: www.olympus-europa.com
Olympus Tough! TG-5
What’s new: TG-5 vs TG-4
- A new 12MP backlit CMOS sensor replaces the 16MP unit in the TG-4. Combined with the latest TruePic VIII processor also used in the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, this delivers better low light sensitivity and a wider dynamic range for improved overall image quality in a wider range of lighting conditions
- TG-5 adds temperature to the field sensor system already including GPS, compass and manometer. This data can be transferred with images and video via WiFi to the free OI.Track app to showcase trips
- New anti-fog dual pane protective glass prevents the lens misting up after extreme temperature shifts
- Controls have been improved for easier handling in harsh conditions or whilst wearing gloves including a new dial for easier control of key functions including exposure compensation
- Video is considerably enhanced now boasting 4K at 30P and Full-HD sized, 120FPS high-speed movies
- Also coming from the OM-D series is the “Pro Capture” feature that ensures you get a shot at the precise instant you want in a fast moving sequence
TG-5 vs. the competition
- In its price class, the TG-5 sets the benchmark for combining high end image quality with the convenience of pocket sized portability and ruggedness
- Super-bright 1:2.0 wide 25-100mm* 4x optical zoom lens for wide-angle shots and excellent image quality with high ISO values in low light
- 12MP backlit CMOS sensor
- TruePic VIII image processor
- Waterproof to 15m***
- Shockproof to 2.1m***
- Crushproof to 100kg***
- Freezeproof to -10°C***
- Unrivaled four-mode super Macro system for spectacular close-ups from 30cm to just 1cm
- 4K 30P Video as well as high-speed Full-HD modes to provide slow motion playback
- Built-in WiFi and OI.Share app compatibility for remote control and sharing via smartphone
- GPS, compass and OI.Track app compatibility for fast and accurate location data
- Expandable with an extensive range of system converter lenses and accessories
- Underwater HDR Mode for more definition of dark and light areas
- AF Area for focusing on selected areas of the image
- Customizable, easily reachable mode dial for quickly accessing key settings on the go