How does Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) work?
Olympus Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) is an optical technology available for a variety of medical disciplines which helps to visualise the tiniest vascular and mucosal patterns. NBI uses only wavelengths absorbed by haemoglobin for maximum contrast.
A number of studies highlight the clinical value of NBI, especially with regard to the detection of cancer and characterisation of suspicious mucosal areas.
Compared to white-light endoscopy, the images of capillaries are less blurred and the probability of missing a lesion is reduced.
NBI for ENT in a nutshell
- Exclusive optical technology built in all the recent Olympus imaging systems.
- NBI is currently the only technology that works with full HD and ultra-high-definition systems (see Olympus 4K system).
- NBI can be used in the office with flexible scopes as well as in the operating theatre with rigid scopes.
NBI Optimises clinical outcomes in ENT
Numerous studies, including a growing number of RCTs and meta-analyses, highlight the clinical value of NBI, especially regarding the detection of cancer and the thorough examination of suspicious mucosal areas. By providing high image quality and contrast in full HD or ultra-high-definition, NBI may reduce the surgical margin and also the number of biopsies.
Olympus ENT products with NBI for the operating theatre or office
Watch procedure videos comparing Narrow Band Imaging to white-light-endoscopy.
Case Study of NBI Endoscopy, Vol. 1 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
Case Study of NBI (Specific Wavelength Light) Endoscopy, Vol. 1
- 1.Detects 18% more true-positive laryngeal cancer lesions
- 2.Increases sensitivity by 23% in the identification of laryngeal cancer while maintaining high specificity (96%)
- 3.Reduces 85% of superficial positive margins
- 4.NBI comes with Olympus Medical equipment at no additional costs for extra equipment, disposables or drugs. It is a key function of Olympus endoscopy system, and has shown to provide clinical quality, efficiency gain and cost saving in other indications.
- 5.NBI comes with Olympus Medical equipment at no additional costs for extra equipment, disposables or drugs. It is a key function of Olympus endoscopy system, and has shown to provide clinical quality, efficiency gain and cost saving in other indications.